Unified Scale Out (USO™) Appliance – SAN + Scale Out NAS Storage
Enjoy scalability and redundancy with Unified Scale Out (USO™) Appliance:
With our USO™, your business can easily scale out by adding nodes whenever you need it. The USO™ promises your performance, agility and high availability to help you in your data storage needs. To ensure complete control over multiple nodes, you can use smart GUI interface that allows you to enjoy complete visibility. With more usable bandwidth with each node and a single namespace, USO™ is what your business needs.
HAVE A STONEFLY EXPERT CONTACT YOU NOW!
Unified Scale Out (USO™) Appliance – SAN + Scale Out NAS Storage
StoneFly’s Unified Scale Out (USO™) Storage Appliances deliver scalability and redundancy as a Scale Out NAS and fully featured SAN (iSCSI and optional Fibre Channel), all in one easy to manage appliance. USO series of appliances were designed for customer’s requiring a powerful storage solution that can scale out storage capacity while scaling up performance.
The Scale Out NAS feature of the USO allows you to “scale out” as your business grows by adding nodes without losing performance. With the USO you can expand one or more volumes across multiple nodes using no metadata and a single namespace. Usable bandwidth increases as new nodes are added. Best of all, you can manage multiple nodes with just a single user interface.
Ranging in size from 8 to 36 drives per chassis, the USO can be scaled up to 256 drives per node and scaled out with additional nodes added as needed. For added flexibility, configurations can be mixed and matched according to customer need with any combinations of nearline 7200RPM SAS, enterprise 10k or 15k SAS, and SSD drives.
The cornerstone of USO SAN + NAS Appliances is StoneFly’s patented storage virtualization engine running the award winning StoneFly StoneFusion SAN operating system. StoneFusion provides iSCSI block-level provisioning as well as centralized storage management and advanced storage features including thin provisioning with space reclamation, synchronous campus mirroring and 2520 delta-based snapshots per subsystem. Optional features include asynchronous replication, hardware-enabled AES 256 block level volume encryption, optimized data deduplication for efficient storage utilization, Fibre Channel SAN target, and Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) agents for quiescing databases.
What is Scale Out NAS?
Scale Out NAS is a distributed file system that can scale to several petabytes all while handling thousands of clients. It functions as a distributed data overlay, polling together storage building blocks over TCP/IP, aggregating disk resources and managing data in a single global namespace. The unified platform handles blocks, files, objects and big data.
Scale Out NAS solves enterprise storage requirements, including:
- Enterprise-wide file sharing with a single access point across data storage locations.
- Nearline storage for infrequently accessed data that needs to be online.
- Rich media (audio and video) content distribution with petabyte-scale storage and high-read performance requirements.
- High-performance storage for bandwidth-intensive applications like weather prediction and oil and gas exploration.
- Centralized storage-as-a-service to enterprise applications.
- Backup target and archive for on-site or off-site data protection.
Global Scale Out Storage for OpenStack
StoneFly’s USO “Unified Scale Out” iSCSI + Scale Out NAS Storage Appliances fully support OpenStack. Not just for backend storage, USO appliances can also be used as a remote iSCSI boot device for diskless OpenStack nodes.
Bootable iSCSI volumes can be created within the StoneFly iSCSI storage pool on the USO appliance and used to implement diskless OpenStack nodes (and diskless physical server nodes as required). Rapidly and easily increase the quantity of Nova compute nodes or any other OpenStack nodes by adding diskless blade servers to your OpenStack cloud environment using StoneFly remote iSCSI boot.
Diskless OpenStack nodes will enjoy the numerous benefits of StoneFly iSCSI including delta-based snapshots, mountable read-write snapshot volumes, thin provisioning, and real-time synchronous mirroring. Robust optional iSCSI features include hardware-enabled block level AES 256 volume encryption, optimized data deduplication, VSS support and asynchronous replication all combine to make StoneFly the most advanced storage solution currently available for any OpenStack environment.
StoneFly NAS can be used as global scale out storage for OpenStack Block or Volume Storage (Cinder), OpenStack Container or Object Storage (Swift), as well as storage for the OpenStack Image service (Glance). StoneFly USO can be used for a single type of OpenStack storage (e.g. Cinder), or it can be used for any combination of Cinder, Swift and Glance. This is in addition to using the StoneFly USO’s Scale Out NAS and/or iSCSI storage for your regular physical and virtual servers or workstations.
A common limitation when using Cinder is that although volumes can be added to increase storage, those volumes cannot be expanded. With StoneFly Scale Out NAS, volumes for Cinder Block Storage can easily be expanded by adding either bricks (drives) or additional Scale Out NAS nodes. Since volumes can be easily expanded across multiple USO Scale Out NAS appliance nodes, the volume for OpenStack will expand readily and expansion is nearly limitless.
Key advantages of using StoneFly USO for OpenStack shared storage and remote iSCSI boot:
- Cost-effective alternative to using local storage.
- Increased reliability since all StoneFly Scale Out NAS nodes feature hardware RAID, redundant hot-swappable power supply modules, and you do not lose access to your data if a compute node goes down (in OpenStack environments running multiple compute nodes).
- Reduces CapEx and OpEx since OpenStack nodes no longer need dedicated physical OS drives when using StoneFly remote iSCSI boot. Node reliability and availability increases since they are no longer at risk of disk failure.
- Remote iSCSI boot allows OpenStack nodes to enjoy the built-in benefits of StoneFly iSCSI including snapshots and mirroring. Optional StoneFly iSCSI features such as data deduplication, encryption, asynchronous replication, and more provide for an even more feature-rich solution for diskless OpenStack nodes.
- Makes it possible to share storage for other purposes beyond OpenStack (NAS or iSCSI storage for regular physical and virtual servers in your datacenter).
- Ability to scale/expand and increase the performance of a particular volume since you are not limited by the number of disks in a single physical machine.
- Management and recovery of compute nodes running Nova is much easier because you do not have to maintain their state. Since storage is not tied to another node, compute nodes can just be restarted as a new instance.
StoneFly StoneFusion 8.0 Base SAN + NAS Management 64-Bit Operating System
- Logical Volume Creation and Patented Advanced Storage Virtualization Services
- 200 iSCSI Volumes Supported with 1022 Concurrent Host iSCSI Sessions
- iSCSI/NAS Port Teaming, Failover and Load-Balancing
- Volume-Level Access Control and Dynamic Volume Management
- Support for iSCSI, NAS (CIFS/SMB & NFS), SNMP Traps, UPS, Nagios, RAID Monitoring, Call Home
- Compatible with OpenStack – Cinder (Block/Volume), Swift (Object) & Glance (Image)
- System-Wide Graphical Performance and Utilization Reporting
- Advanced Report Management
- Automated Online Volume / Storage Expansion
StoneFly StoneFusion 8.0 Advanced Features Package
- StoneFly Snapshot Services with 2520 Delta-Based Snapshots per Subsystem
- Mountable Read-Write Snapshot Volumes
- Snapshot Schedule Utility, Command Line Interface Utility
- Scale Out NAS using a Single Name Space to Scale Capacity and Performance
- StoneFly Real-Time Synchronous Mirroring of iSCSI Volumes and Nodes (Campus Mirroring)
- Multi-Site/Multi-Appliance Replication and Unified Central Management System
- Thin Provisioning with Space Reclamation
- Tiered Storage Architecture with Hardware and Software Support
Available Software Upgrade Options
- Asynchronous Replication (One-to-Many & Many-to-One)
- Hardware-Enabled Block Level AES 256 Volume Encryption
- Fibre Channel SAN Target (License Bundled with Choice of 4Gb/8Gb/16Gb HBAs)
- Optimized Block Level Parallel Data Deduplication with High-Performance Index Engine
- VSS Support
USO Series Hardware Features
- Single or Dual Hexa-Core Storage Virtualization Engines
- 16GB, 32GB or 64GB Data Packet and Command Queuing Cache for SSPP®
- RAID 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, 30, 50 and 60 with RAID Cache Battery Backup
- 12Gb SAS Technology
- 8 to 36 Hot-Swappable 6Gb or 12Gb Disk Drives per Chassis
- Choice of SATA, SAS, SSD or Tiered Storage
- Scale Capacity with up to 10 Expansion Units per Node (12-Bay & Larger)
- Supports 1Gb Copper, 10Gb RJ-45/CX4 Copper, SFP+, SR/LR Optical
- One Gigabit Management Port
- Redundant 80-PLUS® Certified Hot-Swappable Power Supplies
- Dynamic Storage Expansion
- Operating Temperature: 10° to 35°C (50°F to 95°F)
- Relative Humidity: 8 to 90%, Non-Condensing