Cloud Storage Improves Life Sciences Data Storage
It is the journey of discovery that drives people more than anything else and in the process of doing that also being able to educate leaders, scientists and engineers of tomorrow. Cloud storage has helped the prospects of research in life sciences by providing a reliable platform to backup, manage and restore data with ease. The speed provided to researchers in life sciences helps them sort through data and perform simulations with ease.
The organization was conducting research with data storage through traditional storage ways.
Data storage was moved to the cloud with no impact on operations and no downtime.
Cloud storage has helped in achieving better results in research. Data is protected, backed up and can scale according to the business needs.
Life Sciences and Progress through Genomics
Data generation is increasing on a daily basis in the field of genomics. Data generated by genomics research per day is doubling every seven months. Cloud computing is taking over the pillars of discovery in life sciences. The new life science discovery paradigm is massive amounts of data, new ideas for analyzing that data and that capability of doing it. Hundreds of genomes are being analyzed each day.
Achieving Improvement through Goals
The pressure of daily work and capital expenses (CapEx) related to setting up new servers for data storage was keeping the manager from updating the company’s existing technology. There were problems which the project supervisor was facing every day in various forms:
- Data Storage: Extreme data being generated every day requiring high-end computing to process it.
- Availability of Data: Numerous amounts of people generating data ranging from top management to the patients.
- Lack of Scalability: Performance decreasing with traditional storage as limited amounts of machines used.
- Sorting Through the Noise: Problem of quickly accessing the vast amount of data saved.
All these problems were in the mind of the supervisor at all times; a solution had to be implemented for better research.
Improvement in the Working Environment with Cloud Storage
It is the journey of discovery that drives people more than anything else and in the process of doing that also being able to educate leaders, scientists and engineers of tomorrow. Cloud storage has helped the project supervisor in overcoming the problems related to data storage.
- Increased Storage Space: Cloud storage can Scale-out providing greater space.
- Increased Availability of Data: Cloud storage will provide access to everyone in the project in a matter of minutes.
- Increased Scalability: High performance in simulation with the use of greater processors; scaling out of resources.
- Ease of Access: Greater granularity and centralized management to access any data with ease.
- Improved Operational Efficiency: Make the most out of research with continuous integration and deployment.
Cloud storage has not only provided solutions to the data storage problems faced by the project supervisor, but has helped in giving extra features to research.
By moving all the data to the cloud, there was no impact on the company operations; research continued seamlessly with no downtime. Cloud has allowed research to be compliant to the legal standards as well as keep up with the latest technology. Updates are done automatically. The project supervisor has peace of mind that the data is always backed up, protected and can scale to meet the needs of the growing research.
The exciting thing about doing things in the cloud is the ability to accelerate discovery to the point that we may be able to find treatments for cancer.